Tuesday 20 October 2015

Doctor Harry Will See You Now

I’ve always said that Dogs have a stronger instinct than other animals, for example there have been many stories from across the years about various dogs instinct, whether it be saving a life, finding an air-loom or even discovering lost property.

Over the last few days I think that me and Em have started to see Harry’s instincts come to life a little more, I’ve been struck down by the worst thing imaginable – yup, I’ve got man flu!

To be honest I’m surprised he’s come anywhere near me over the past few days, I’m a grumpy git most of the time but when I’m infected by man flu, grumpy git becomes uber grumpy bastard!

Despite this, he has sensed I’ve been ill and in his usual way has turned into Doctor Harry – not allowing me to sleep all day, which with man flu isn’t recommended, not leaving my side when he’s inside and prescribing me with a dose of licking my face!

During the worst of the man flu, I couldn’t really manage a grunt of “lie down harry”, but to his credit, he sensed he was being annoying and just lied down at my feet and allowed me the prescribed half-hour shut eye. Bless.

He is usually a star at night, he is settled into a nice routine of coming into our room and chilling either on our bed, on the floor or if he’s really tired, on his own bed which Em brought him a week or so ago. He’ll then go downstairs and out for a call of nature before slumping in his cage, or hotel, for the evening – barking only once he’s heard us awake the next morning.

Last night though, it took him ages to go downstairs and after doing his business (twice) he wouldn’t settle. Thinking back now, I was coughing a lot so I wonder now if he was doing his attention grabbing bark just to come up here and do a bit of doctor patient observation.

It’s not just Illness that he observes, he is good at knowing when someone is coming, before the rest of us even realise. He’ll just stop whatever it is he’s doing, sit up sharp and just stare – eventually he’ll turn around and look at us and then keep glancing back and forth, within two minutes, a family member turns up! Scary.

Also when we are out at football he’ll stay at the farm and run around the front lawn, we can see him chasing himself around or playing with a toy from the end of the drive, as soon as he hears the car he stops, sits and waits. If you dare walk past him without going to give him some fuss, you will get barked out, loudly – he loves his attention!

Being bunged up with man flu I’m struggling to recall his other acts of instincts, no doubt Em will tell me loads when she gets home from work! 

As much as I enjoy writing, I do find it tough sometimes to explain what goes on in his head and describe what the little cherub has been upto. I’ve ordered a collar camera which should be here soon, it clips onto his collar and basically gives you a “dogs eye view” – I’m also going to rig up some secret cameras too so we can all see what Harry gets up to. 

Hopefully somewhere in the footage will be some gems to share with you all, and if I’ve still got man flu, I promise not to share any footage of him licking my face!

Must Dash, he’s been downstairs for half an hour and usually I’d be inclined to leave him until he shouted “next patient please” (or woof) but Em shared this thing on facebook the other day which is SO true it has me scared.  


Silence is golden, unless you have a puppy – then silence is suspicious, VERY VERY suspicious. With Doctor Harry, there’s never been a truer quote!   

No comments:

Post a Comment