Tuesday 6 October 2015

In The Life of PawFace - Introducing Harry


Dogs V Cats is an old battle and preference which has stemmed generations, a bit like Tea V Coffee or White Bread V Wholemeal. For me, I’m certainly on “team dog” and with every day that unfolds, find myself wondering what on earth goes through the mind of mine. 

Rather than drive myself insane by talking to myself about it, I thought I’d blog about it and maybe see if other dog owners think or see the same patterns of behaviour from their four-legged companions. 

I’m currently on dog number three in my life, Harry – a pure Border Collie puppy who is around six months old. To be honest, I was apprehensive about welcoming him into our (myself and my partner Em) lives, I adored my previous dog Jaz, a Labrador Golden Retriever Cross with a hint of Collie in her (her mum got about a bit!), I was GUTTED when we (myself and my dad) had to have her put to sleep due to ill health in September 2012.

Jaz <3 R.I.P
I could write a book about her alone, but in a nutshell she was my childhood best friend and got me through a LOT of dog-poo (metaphorically) – more like a loving sister than a pet. I vowed the day she fell asleep, with my eyes being the last she saw, that I would never get another dog.

So why am I here writing about Dog number three Harry? Em saw him for sale on Facebook (apparently it’s the new way to get a puppy!) and sent me a picture of him saying “please?” – I didn’t realise she was joking*, and neither did she when I replied “ok”! 


Wires had been crossed and before we knew it, cash had been exchanged and we had a new addition to our lives. 

That was back in June and now as we canter into October, we have embraced this dog into our lives and he is very much part of the family, currently the annoying baby whose FAR TO BLOODY HYPER! 

Dog One for me was called Lady, inventive I know. I was too young to remember her and I think we sold her or gave her away after she ate my brother’s braces. Dog Two, my Jaz, we had from a puppy and again, I was young during her pup stages so can’t really remember how she was – which means now, our Harry is something I haven’t experienced properly. Not Fun.

He IS getting a lot calmer than what he was when he first arrived, however he LOVES chewing mail and so you have to be like Usain Bolt when Postman Pat arrives! He spends most of his time (or at least has done until the rain started pouring) outside, either on our back garden or on the large front garden of the Farm – yep you guessed it, he LOVES digging. I swear down he’s either plotting his escape or communicating with Australians.   

Socks aren’t safe either, he’s lying at the bottom of my feet as I type gnawing away! Although he doesn’t chew them as frequently anymore!

For all of his annoyances, his eyes suck you in and you can’t help but love him! Don’t tell anyone though. I’d openly admit it if he was chilled a little more – basically if he left my socks alone, didn’t chew our mail, dig to the middle of the earth or wee inside when he gets overly excited! 

What I (we, but someone doesn’t want to admit to that yet) need is some help. This is why I’m writing this, to reach out to other dog owners to get their advice and hear their stories. 

We’ve ordered a mail catcher and staged a sock intervention, the wee situation isn’t too frequent but with rain (which equals soft soil and easier access to Oz) upon us, he’s going to be spending more time indoors. So if you have any tips or advice on that, please get in touch.

He’s now realised that I’m writing about him and is attacking me by licking my face! He is a clever lad and has “cottoned on” to a few of our attempts to be the boss – but that’s another blog for another night, along with how he interacts with other dogs, enjoys recreating “The Great Escape” and much more.

Welcome, to the life of Harry. Oh and for the record, it’s Tea and Wholemeal! 

*She wasn’t joking and neither was I, it just seemed more interesting to put that – hey ho.     

No comments:

Post a Comment